6/15/2010

JESUS LIVE in Las Vegas



























This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine!

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine!

This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine!

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!

In May of 2007, our eldest daughter left Las Vegas and an ill-fated four year marriage, to return home to California. She did so, with her almost three-year-old son, a few bags of clothing and two dopey dogs, in a Jeep Wagoneer. Our lives changed in ways I would have never imagined as we became active participants in our young grandson's life.
Our third daughter was still living at home at the time, but she was a young woman of twenty-two with her own life and schedule keep. To suddenly have a toddler living amongst us, required a few life-style alterations. Fortunately, we had a couple of unoccupied bedrooms and a sizable yard, so our grandson had plenty of room to roam. When we’d built the house, Rick had paid to have extra insulation laid in the interior floors and walls to ensure that the house was quiet. A decision that seemed rather extravagant at the time, became practical overnight. The mutts joined our pack of misfits and barn refugees in the dog-yard, and my crafting table in the spare room was moved to make way for a toddler bed.
Our biggest concern, as far as the house went, was our in-ground pool. We installed an alarm on our door, and laid a few ground rules requiring the use of a swim vest or floaties while playing outdoors, and remained vigilant at all times. Fortunately, the pool never became an issue.
When Brooke secured a job, I agreed to provide child-care which didn’t seem like such a big deal, since I’d been an off and on, stay-at-home wife and Mom, for twenty-seven years. I learned to adjust my routine and schedule to accomodate a pokey three year old, and had to remember to make adjustments for things like potty-breaks and naptime.
We met our biggest challenge on Sunday mornings, when we crowded into Papap’s truck and headed off to church services, where we attempted to teach our grandson that there are a few times and places where silence is golden, and the ability to sit still is a virtue. We were quickly reminded, that there’s nothing more vulnerable than a handful of adults in church, at the mercy of a precocious three-year-old.
Having been married in the Catholic Church, my daughter and her husband had agreed to raise any children they might have, as practicing Christians, a promise my former son-in-law was unwilling to honor. In Las Vegas, Brooke had valiantly hauled her little one off to Church alone, on multiple occasions, but it hadn’t taken long, for him to realize that he had his mother at his mercy. Now, with her family at her back, she was determined to give Sunday services another try.
After the first few weeks we’d established our presence as an extended family, in the second to last pew, where we hoped we were less of a distraction. We began each Mass with high expectations, Mommy firmly in command. Typically, sometime around the homily, my exasperated daughter would call upon reinforcements, and Rick would wrestle his squirming, protesting grandson from between the floor, and the kneeler. The tears would flow, but usually not for long, and our grandson would settle for the rest of the service, cradled firmly in his grandfather’s loving arms.
Weeks turned into months, and life began to seem routine again at home. Our Sunday regimen stayed the same, except that our little circle grew to include my youngest daughter’s boyfriend, and with his further example, our grandson’s behavior began to improve. Trips were made back and forth to Las Vegas for divorce and custody hearings, and our time as a family in Church proved well spent, as prayers were answered.
In due course, the final, empty space in our pew was filled by yet another strong male role model, and in time, Rick began to defer to him when a stern look or nod was in order. Before long, our grandson was well behaved enough to join the other children for a special Liturgy of the Word each Sunday. His mother swelled with pride as he made his way out of our pew, and down the center aisle. As a family, we celebrated a wedding and two infant baptisms in that church, before we moved from California and away from our beloved daughter, her son and his step-father.
Last week, I had the honor of joining my daughter’s family in Chapel to celebrate my grandson’s graduation from kindergarten. Though never conspicuously religious, my daughter had made the decision to enroll her son in a Christian based pre-school, shortly after leaving Las Vegas. At the time, it was one of the few toddler programs with openings for three-year-olds. We happened upon it by chance one day while stopped at a red light, and noticed a banner advertising late enrollment.
Brooke had been a bit apprehensive about sending her baby off to school, but made an appointment with the program director, a warm, grandmotherly woman from Ireland. She felt considerable peace of mind after her introductory interview, and signed the enrollment papers right away. My grandson seemed happy enough at Light and Life, and progressed well academically, so the decision was later made to continue on through another year of preschool and then kindergarten.
The end-of-year celebration was bittersweet, as my grandson would be leaving California afterwards, to spend the summer with his father. A review of his final progress report indicated that he’d done very well academically, but what pleased us all most, was the certificate he received for having the most improved conduct of any child in kindergarten.
With my grandson on my lap, we listened as the school administrator told the story of a not-so-nice man named Saul, who had a conversion of the heart, and spent the rest of his days wandering the middle-east, spreading the story of Jesus. The administrator, then went on to recognize a handful of teachers, that would not be returning to school in the fall. He reminded the students, that as good Christians he felt certain they would continue to lead by example and spread the Good News.

In an attempt to make the story relevant, I whispered to my grandson, that he too could spread the Jesus story by behaving like a good Christian while visiting his father’s family in Las Vegas. He very quickly turned his head to look up at me, sighed with resignation, and said, “They don’t want to hear about Jesus in Las Vegas.”
I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at his words, for sadly, he spoke the truth, but in more ways than he realized.
It was solemn in the car as we drove to the airport to send our little guy off for the entire, ten-week summer break. At almost six years old, he’d never been away from his mother for more than three weeks. I knew that his step-dad was hurting as much as his mother was, and I felt a terrible sadness for everyone involved.
As we approached the airport, my grandson, already at my side, cuddled closer to me, and asked if I’d always be his special Nana, even after I’d gone to heaven. I assurred him that I always would be. He then expressed that he too hoped to go to heaven some day when he got old, so we would see each other again. Such heavy thoughts for such a little boy.

In a silly yet affirming manner, I assured him that he would indeed go to heaven if he listened to his parents, and walked the straight and narrow. I was sure that he understood my meaning when he laughed and nodded his head in agreement. Then, with a pat of his hand on my arm, he said, “You mean if I follow the Way, right Nana?" His little face with its broad smile, beamed, as he looked up at me.
I realized then, that no matter how much I might worry about the well-being of my now school-aged grandson, I should be comforted in the knowledge that he won’t be spending the next ten weeks unprotected, and whether they like it or not, the folks in Sin City will be hearing about Jesus this summer.

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine.

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!

1 comment: