1/22/2013

Dancing In the Rain

A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft.  From my own personal experience, it can be a catalyst for enriching your life.  Ali Edwards, One Little Word 2013

Two years ago, an ill wind blew a rather large, dark cloud into my little corner of the world and parked it directly over me and mine. The ensuing storm dumped buckets and buckets of water, caused the creek to rise, and temporarily knocked me off my feet.

In response to the rising water, I sought shelter in the warmth of our home, affectionately referred to as, the Ark, and prayed on a daily basis for an end to the menacing weather.

And while I still believe, that the shortest distance between a problem and a solution, is the distance between my knees and the floor, I now recognize that affecting climate change in happy valley isn't on God's immediate to-do list.

A pragmatic being, I realize that life is short.  Compelled to make the most of my time on earth, I hesitate to waste a moment more brooding about my misfortune, while watching the world go by my rain-streaked kitchen windows.  Surely, God wants more for me. Certainly he expects more from me.

Still, there's risk associated with wandering into a storm.  No matter how well I prepare, or clothe myself against the elements, I could be lost in a torrent of rain or overwhelmed by a flash flood.  Is it really worth taking the chance?

Yes! Behind the dark clouds, there is light, beauty and goodness. Further, I know that God doesn't want me to spend the rest of my life cowering in fear of the darkness. As a Christian, I am called to step into the light, to seek out, and celebrate each and every ray of light that peeks through the clouds, no matter how briefly, even if it means I end up dancing in the rain.

Four years ago, I began the tradition of selecting a single word each January that I reflect and meditate on throughout the year.  Words that have enriched my life in the past, are simplify, forward, mystery and resignation

While I may be an ordinary person, my life-journey has been extraordinary - full of blessings, travel, adventure and opportunity. My word is a companion on my journey along the road-less-traveled, challenging me to step outside my comfort zone, encouraging me to think outside the box, and comforting me in the darkness.

I stand at the threshold of the new year, in my pink wellies (English rain-boots) and raincoat, umbrella in hand, with a new companion - a new word - CELEBRATE!

I've resolved to step out into the rain, eyes to the clouds, in search of light and silver linings.  I will be happy, and I will celebrate the goodness.

(left) Granddaughter Regan, who shares my taste in rain boots.

Click here for more information on the one little word concept and Ali Edwards.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment